Google Ads is an online advertising tool. The program allows you to create online ads to reach audiences interested in your products and services.
Google offer paid advertisements that appear in search results on google.com through Google Ads. Advertisements appear on other websites through the Display Network and Google’s AdSense program.
The sponsored results, or ads, are shown with an “Ad” label. The results that appear below the ads are referred to as organic results.
Google also offers Display Ads, which appear on the Google Display Network. The Display Network is a collection of outside third-party websites partnered with Google and agreed to serve Google Ads. Google Ads on the Display Network can be in text, image, video, or rich media format and can be targeted differently. This includes remarketing and banner ads.
If you’re using AdSense, your ads appear in the selected areas on a website. Google Ads auction mainly focuses on keywords where advertisers target a list of keywords relevant to their business offers, meaning the words people are most likely to use when searching for their product.
They then bid on these keywords based on how much they are willing to pay for a Google user to click on their ad. This bid, combined with a Quality Score assigned by Google based on the quality of your proposed ad, determines which Google ads appear on the search engine result page (SERP).
When users click the ads, the advertiser pays a cost-per-click or CPC/PPC.
To win the auctions and see your Google advertisement appear for relevant keywords, you’ll need to optimize your Quality Score and the bid amount.
In conjunction with your bid amount, the higher your quality score is, the better position your ads will have.
Several factors affect your Quality Score:
- The relevance of your Google ad to the search query
- The relevance of the Google keyword to your ad group
- The relevance of your ad to its landing page
- The historical click-through rate (CTR) of the ad and its ad group
- Overall historical account performance
Benefits to having a good quality score:
- Lower costs
- Google rewards advertisers with high Quality Scores by lowering their cost per click (CPC), helping improve ROI.
- Higher exposure
- When you have high Quality Scores, your ads will display more often, in better positions on the SERP — the top vs. the bottom of the page. This enables you to get more clicks and conversions without raising your bids.
The cost of Google ads varies based on many factors, including the competitiveness of your keyword, industry, geographic location, the quality of your advertising campaigns, and more.
To maximize the impact of your Google ads and campaigns, you need to know which campaigns work for your business and where to make improvements.